Wednesday, October 30, 2013 03:40hrs
Rescue 2 responded to 848 East 15th Street, Flatbush section for a fire in a two story private dwelling. 2nd alarm was transmitted for fire in the rear on the first and second floor of the 20 x 40 two story p.d. 5 10-45's were giving one code 1 , one code2 and three code 4's.
91-Year-Old Woman and Son Killed in Flatbush Fire, Police Say
FLATBUSH — A 91-year-old woman and her 63-year-old son were killed in a huge fire in their Flatbush home early Wednesday, officials said.
Another three people were hurt in the fire that was sparked by a damaged space heater cord about 3:30 a.m. and quickly consumed the home on East 15th Street, blocks from Brooklyn College, the FDNY said.
"The downstairs door to the house was open, but it was all fire. I tried to kick the second floor door three or four times, but it wouldn’t open," said neighbor, Intazar Ali Dar, 55.
The woman, who neighbors said was a great-grandmother, died at the scene, the NYPD said. Her son, a church deacon and grandparent himself, was rushed to Kings County Hospital and pronounced dead, police and neighbors said.
"There was too much burns. His hand was burned. His feet were burned," Dar said.
"They put him on a stretcher. They tried to do chest compressions, but he wasn't moving. Then they took him away."
Three other residents were treated for their injuries, which were described as minor, at Maimonides Medical Center, officials said.
Their identities were not immediately released.
It took more than 100 firefighters an hour to finally bring the blaze under control. It devastated the home of the extended family that lived there, neighbors and the FDNY said.
People raced out of the house as flames and smoke poured from the windows and doors, witnesses said. Dar raced over to his neighbors' flaming home, hoping to help, he said.
"The fire was too high. My son said, ‘Dad, don’t go inside. There’s too much fire.’ I ran to the back," he said.
There, Dar saw another bloodied-man carrying out a baby and another woman who lived there, he said.
Neighbors said the mother and son, a former cab driver with a baby grandson, were deeply religious and major figures in their church community.
Fatal Fire - midwood
Saturday, October 26, 2013 14:45hrs
Rescue 2 responded to Broadway and Myrtle Ave for a confirmed person under a train.
A young woman's leg was severed by a passing train while she was walking on the tracks in Brooklyn yesterday. According to cops, the unidentified 29-year-old woman was walking along the roadbed of the elevated J/Z tracks at the Gates Avenue station in Bedford-Stuyvesant just before 3 p.m. Saturday when a passing train hit her.
She was taken to Brookdale Hospital; her left leg was amputated below the knee and she had a right ankle fracture, but she is in stable condition. Police could not provide any other information about the incident.
Friday, October 25, 2013 19:30hrs
Rescue 2 responded to Boerum Pl and Schemerhorn for an overturn with one person confirmed trapped. One female victim was extricated from the overturned mini - van and turned over to E.M.S.
3rd Alarm Private Dwelling
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 04:00hrs
Rescue 2 responded to East 35 st and Flatbush ave. for a fire in a 3 story private dwelling . Fire on all 3 floors with one victim removed. @04:39hrs 3rd alarm was transmitted with extension into exposure 4.
Sunday, October 20, 2013 22:30hrs
Rescue 2 responded to Franklin Ave and Myrtle Ave . with 4 autos involved. Rescue 2 's Tnt tool was put into operation and also the air bags used for a person pinned underneath one of the vehicles.
Saturday, October 19, 2013
MUNDY-William T. "Bill" on October 19, 2013. Beloved husband of the late Patricia. Loving father of Linda, William, Lois, Jill and Robin and their spouses Jeff, Laura, Paul, Marty and Ricky. Special brother to Kay, Dan, Tom and the late Peggy. Grandfather of 11 grandchildren.
Read more: http://obituaries.nydailynews.com/31884316#ixzz2iaASPuws
Monday, October 14, 2013 10:10hrs
Rescue 2 responded to 1078 Bergen Street for a fire on the first floor of a funeral home. Units arrived with heavy smoke on the first and second floors and a 10-75 was giving. The fire was located on the top floor rear .
Firefighters injured in funeral home blaze
By Daniel Prendergast
October 14, 2013 | 1:19pm
Photo: Paul Martinka
Five firefighters were injured battling a blaze at a Crown Heights funeral home, officials said.
The flames broke out at the Arthur Brown and Son Funeral Home on Bergen Street shortly after 10 a.m. Monday, officials said.
The fire ripped through the ground floor of the three story building, causing four firefighters to suffer minor injuries caused by smoke inhalation, and were taken to Methodist Hospital for treatment.
Another firefighter suffered serious injuries after being burned and suffering smoke inhalation. He was listed in serious condition at Methodist Hospital, officials said.
The cause of the fire is currently under investigation, according to the FDNY
Sunday, October 6, 2013
On Wednesday October 9th , All members are to assemble in uniform at The Firemens Monument located at West 100th and Riverside Dr. , Manhattan. A memorial ceromony will take place at 11a.m. to remember and pay respects to all the brothers who sacrificed their lives.
Friday, October 4, 2013 19:32hrs
Rescue 2 responded to 1090 Blake Ave. for a fire on the 2nd floor in a two story dwelling with extension into the exposure.
Thursday, September 26, 2013
To all former and present members of Rescue 2 . The company will be holding its fishing trip on Saturday September 28th . The Captree Star 3 will be leaving at 9 a.m from the Captree Boat Basin. Call the firehouse for more details or go to www.captreestar.com for directions. See you there.
Site designed and maintained by