Box 2447 Private Dwelling ( Fatal Fire)

     

Saturday, February 9, 2013 03:33 hrs Rescue 2 responded to 2773 Bedford Ave for a fire on the first floor of a two story private dwelling. Units arrived to fire out the front of the dwelling with reports of people trapped. One 8 yr old 10-45 ( code 1) was found and pronounced D.O.A.  Other residents were treated by E.M.S. during the heavy snowfall.

Bereft Flatbush parents who lost their youngest son and all their possessions in a fast-moving fire Saturday don’t have enough money to bury their boy.

Aschton Charles, 8, couldn’t make it out of the family’s two-story house after a faulty space heater sent the Bedford Ave. home ablaze.

Now the family is struggling to find a place to live and schedule a funeral they can’t afford.

“My family is totally destroyed,” said the boy’s father Herbert Charles. “We’re not good right now. We’re trying to cope the best way we can.”

The family of six has spent the last three days sleeping in a Flatbush motel while community leaders are collecting money and trying to find them a cheap place to live.

Charles - who works as a technician for a cable company - and his wife - who works as a hair dresser - were barely making ends meet before the tragedy.

“I’m at the mercy of my helpers. I don’t know where I’m going from here,” said Charles.

Aschton was sleeping on the first floor of the house when a space heater ignited a couch in the living room shortly before 3 a.m., fire officials said

Charles said he was woken up by the smoke and saw the door was completely engulfed in flames. Both he and his wife jumped out of their bedroom window to escape the fire.

The boy’s mother tried fighting her way back into the burning home, but firefighters wouldn’t let her back inside.

Family handout The family of Aschton Charles, 9, lost everything in the fire and now don’t have enough money to bury their child.
Aschton was pulled out of the house, , but the unconscious boy could not be saved.

Nearly 60 firefighters responded to the early morning blaze.

Charles said the home hasn’t had working heat since November and the landlord, Joseph Boyd, was supposed to send someone to fix the problem. A source also said there were also no working smoke detectors.

A little bit of money saved and this is what happened,”

“They had to provide their own heat with space heaters and this is the result,” City Councilman Jumaane Williams (D - East Flatbush) who also raising money for the family.

Williams also criticized the landlord for not fixing the heat problem: “A little bit of money saved and this is what happened.” he said.

Calls to Boyd were not returned.

The family’s pastor Rev. Wharton Nicholson of the World Mission Assembly church said congregants have donated money to help the family, but more needs to be done.

“This is a huge setback for the family. This is a great tragedy. They don’t have any clothing, no housing, no food and on top of that they lost their child. It’s devastating,” said Nicholson.

To donate, call 718-676-1385

mmorales@nydailynews.com

Twitter.com/NYDNMarkMorales




Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/flatbush-parents-afford-bury-youngest-son-died-fire-article-1.1262414#ixzz2Koca64lO